Question: I have been hearing a lot about cork flooring, but am hesitant to put it in my home without knowing more about it. Can you tell me some of the features and benefits of a cork floor? I am considering putting it in my home office and in my childrens playroom. I want a floor that will be good for both areas and that is durable enough to stand up to my kids.
Donna from Franklin, TN
Answer: Thanks for your question! Cork is a wonderful flooring product that I think gets overlooked because everyone thinks of a bulletin board when they think of cork! Did you know that cork floors are actually made from the waste of wine cork stoppers?
Some features and attributes of cork are:
- It’s GREEN! -It is a harvested resource and a recycled product
- Extremely durable – it is often used in many commercial applications because of its durability
- Excellent sound absorption – it is often used in churches for this reason (great for the office and the playroom!)
- Great insulator – it can actually help reduce heat loss in a room
- Natural fire inhibitor – because of a substance called suberin, upon combustion cork does not release any toxic gasses
- Hypo-allergenic- cork floors do not absorb dust and are very useful for people with asthma and respiratory diseases
- Resilient – cork can return to its original shape even when exposed to heavy weight and pressure
- Repairable – cork floors can be repaired if damaged. (always consult a professional)
When shopping for cork, there are many different styles and even colors. You will find planks, tiles and mosaics. You also have the choice of different installation types such as glued, glueless and floating.
Maintenance is simple for cork floors, just keep the floors free from dirt by sweeping and vacuuming and use a neutral PH cleaner or one that is recommended by the manufacturer. Walk off mats at every entrance help make the floors easier to keep clean.
If you use cork in your home office be sure to use chair mats under the office chair and protectors for chair feet. In the playroom, be sure to wipe up spills as soon as possible.
If you have more questions, please don’t hesitate to ask. If you would like to view samples from a retailer in your area, the folks at Carpet Den Interiors in Franklin are a great resource.