Cabinet hardware is not just for decoration. Cabinet hardware is designed to prevent the oils on your hands from damaging the finish on your cabinets. Over time, those oils in your hands can weaken the finish on your cabinets. There are many different choices of cabinet hardware available for purchase today. Sometimes it can be overwhelming! Below are some considerations for purchasing cabinet hardware.
Things to consider when purchasing cabinets hardware:
- If you are replacing cabinet hardware, be sure that you are replacing with hardware that has the same size holes or the new hardware will cover the holes from the previous hardware.
- Pulls vs. Knobs – Pulls can make it easier to open drawers when your hands are full and take up more space than knobs. Knobs are smaller and can draw less attention. You also have the option to mix – pulls on the drawers and knobs on the doors.
- Backplate or no backplate – Both knobs and pulls can be used with backplates. Backplates are used to protect the cabinet or cover holes from previous hardware.
- Finish – There are so many finishes to choose from today. Popular finishes include: Nickel, Brass, Antique Brass, Copper, Chrome, Aged Bronze, Iron, Ceramics and Paintable Wood. Often, people coordinate their cabinet hardware with plumbing fixtures or appliance colors such as stainless steel with nickel.
- Design – If you are considereing purchasing cabinet hardware with a decorative design, consider how many cabinets you will be placing that hardware on and how many times you will see it repeated in a given space. Often, the extremely decorative items are better left for small areas like bathrooms where there are not so many cabinets.
- Sine you generally need quite a few pieces of hardware in a kitchen, be sure to buy a few extra pieces in case you need them down the road. Should you find yourself in need of another knob or pull somewhere down the road, it would be a shame to have to replace all of your cabinet hardware because you only needed one more piece of hardware and couldn’t find it because it had been discontinued!
Think of your cabinet hardware as jewelry or an accessory for your cabinets. Choose wisely because it can imapct the entire look and feel of your kitchen or bath!
Leave a Reply