Today we are answering the sixth question in the 1o part series: Top 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions About Flooring.
Question: Does carpet cushion really matter?
Answer: Even though you can’t see the carpet cushion it is just as important to consider as the carpet itself. Did you know that it’s carpet cushion, not the carpet itself that determines how a carpet feels beneath your feet?
- Helps preserve the look of the carpet
- Can extend the life of the carpet
- Provides protection against wear
- Absorbs the impact of foot traffic
- Can improve the sound absorption in a room
- Actually helps keep your carpet cleaner and easier to maintain
Things to consider when purchasing carpet cushion:
- Thicker is not always better
- Look for cushion that is not too soft nor too hard – this is purely personal preference
- If different rooms have different needs, different cushion can be used in different areas
- Put your money in the cushion, better cushion allows you to buy a less expensive carpet
- Make sure that if you are purchasing prime urethane cushion that it is FHA approved
When selecting carpet cushion, place the sample under a carpet sample and walk on it. Take your shoes off! Feel the difference! You may be surprised at how great the right cushion can make a piece of carpet feel.
Photo by: http://www.flickr.com/photos/geekmojo/536412799/ (Some rights reserved https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/)