To me, there’s nothing better than a list. (except for maybe a vintage Bordeaux or a highway with no speed limit) The best kind of list is a top ten list. So, in honor of THE list, today’s post is a top ten list on the top ten things to love about flooring. If you can’t focus on the list until you know what the image is all about, skip to # 10, only if you promise to come back.
- Flooring can define an entire space. It can give a whole room or your entire home it’s personality.
- It is a great place to start a design scheme. Typically, floors are designed to last a long time so they can be a good place to start.
- It’s something everyone with a roof over their heads has to have and it’s often taken for granted, but your floor choice can show off a lot about you and your personality.
- Their are zillions (that’s a technical term) of choices between all of the different flooring types and more are being introduced every year.
- If treated well, a good floor can outlast a husband, wife, kids growing up and different families moving in and out over many, many years.
- Floors are great secret keepers. If your floors could talk……..what would they say about you? Seriously, feel free to answer that one.
- Flooring is so important and there are so many options when it comes to flooring in a home, but basically, it’s a simple creature. (you may not feel that way the first time you walk into a flooring showroom!)
- The only thing that covers more square footage in your home than flooring is drywall. Sure, you have lots of pretty colors and wallpaper you can cover drywall with, but it’s still drywall. No contest to flooring. (especially because drywall looks better with tile on it!) For those of you that are arguing in your head or at your computer screen that paint is more versatile because it can be changed more easily…….Area rugs I say to you…….Area rugs!
- Texture, color, grain patterns, veining, knot holes, worm holes, fissures……….and geometry. Yes, geometry. Without geometry, we wouldn’t be able to install tile in all of the crazy patterns that we do.
- Flooring like hardwood, natural stone, cork and bamboo celebrate and show off the master interior designer of all designers – MOTHER NATURE. Ok, so the scientists and engineers get some credit, too for taking a tree or a rock and turning it into a floor, but if you take a quick peek at the image in this post and once you learn that the image is of a tree – you should take a moment to mentally high five Mother Nature.
Yes, its ok to leave your computer now to re-tour your home to evaluate / appreciate your floors. Feel free to comment on your findings or your thoughts on this post!
Leave a Reply