Have you ever considered decorating a space based on inspiration from something other than a photo of a room? How about referencing a whimsical photo, such as the one below? We adore the jewel tones in this image of a baby girl who appears to have landed on the beach after an ocean journey in a suitcase! Most people would simply frame the photo and hang it on the wall. Instead, we suggest making it your primary guideline for designing an entire room!
How, you ask? By using our easy to follow bullet points for each style aspect of the décor. We’ve found that it’s often easiest to use our style advice if we offer it up in quick snippets that you actually have time to absorb before running off to the next thing on your to-do list. Simply extract what works best for your personal vision, or rely on it all to make your decorating project super easy.
The color pallet: Pure Sunshine Yellow, Seaside Teal, Nature’s Burgundy, Mocha, Punchy Pink Lemonade
What makes the colors work well together?
- They are all jewel tones (with the exception of the neutrals.)
- Jewel tones play especially well off of each other, compared to other color combinations, because their beauty is greatly enhanced when there are multiple shades of with equal vibrancy. In other words, it never seems as if they’re competing.
- The browns are warm and rich, so they work exceptionally well with jewel tones.
What themes within the color scheme set the tone?
- Yellow – joy, optimism
- Teal – fresh, vibrant
- Brown – earthy, stable
- Pink – fun, spunky
What furnishings might work well in a room based on this inspiration?
- Mahogany wood furniture
- Wicker and rattan
- Linen textiles
- Life sources – aquarium, terrarium, plants
- A water feature such as a fountain
- Maps and globes
- Designer ceiling fan
What spaces might best benefit from this design inspiration?
- Beach house
- Sun room
- Spa or bathroom
- Family room
- Indoor porch