Before you begin designing your space, you will want to choose a color scheme. Picking a color scheme can seem like an overwhelming process. There are so many variations of colors to choose from and the colors you choose need to flow together. But there is no need to worry because we created a quick guide on how to pick a color scheme for your space!
How to Pick a Color Scheme for Your Space:
- Choose a Piece. Before you begin deciding on your color scheme, are there any pieces of furniture that you need in the space? If so, you will want to use the color of that piece in your color scheme. For example, if you are decorating your living and have to have this gorgeous, beige ottoman, you will want to add beige to your color scheme for the room. Maybe you will decide to go with a lighter shade of beige for the walls or have dark beige lampshades. Whatever your personal style, be sure to include your main pieces of furniture into the color scheme.
- The Light to Dark Rule. Expert designers recommend following the light to dark rule for your rooms. They say to choose a light ceiling color, a medium wall color, and a dark flooring color. This will help the room look more put together and creates a beautiful transition throughout the room.
- Black is The New Black. Expert designers recommend adding at least one piece of black decor into your space. Simply put, black will never go out of style. It is a universal color that works well with every other color out there. When in doubt, buy it in black.
- The 60-30-10 Rule. Decorating without an expert designer can be difficult. That is why we use their rules to help us along in the design process. Expert designers use “The Rule of 60-30-10.” To help you decide on your colors, you will want to follow this rule: 60% is the dominant colors, 30% is the secondary color, and 10% is the accent color. If you follow this rule, you will find yourself having a completely balanced room with subtle pops of color.
- Limit of 3. The best part about using the 60-30-10 rule is that it limits you to the use of only three colors. You want to try and stay limited to three colors to not overwhelm the eyes. When in doubt, you can buy items in different shades of the colors you currently have but do not add more colors.
We hope you enjoyed these tips and tricks on how to pick a color scheme! Let us know your thoughts in the comment section.