If you’re in the mood for something a little sweet, but don’t want to go through the trouble of making a complete cake just for yourself, consider whipping up a mug cake. Just like it sounds these fast cakes are made right inside your coffee mug, so they’re just the right size for one person to eat. Best of all, they take just minutes and cook up inside your microwave, so you don’t need to mess around with mixing bowls, pans, and oven timers just to enjoy a few bites of warm, delicious cake.
How to Make Mug Cake
This cake is so easy to make, you’ll want to make one every day of the week.
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon chocolate syrup or chocolate spread
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a 14 ounce mug.
- Carefully add the milk and vegetable oil and stir to combine.
- Take a spoonful of chocolate syrup or your favorite chocolate spread and scrape it into the center of the cup so that the batter covers the top of it completely.
- Set your mug in the center of your microwave on top of a plate or paper towel in case some of the batter spills out while cooking.
- Microwave on high for roughly one minute and ten seconds. Keep in mind that microwaves do vary, so you may need to experiment with the timing using your microwave.
Take your cake out of the microwave and let it cool for a few minutes before eating it. The chocolate spread in the center will keep your cake moist and delicious, with a thick, gooey center. The rest of the cake should firm up perfectly to a delicious chocolaty bite that is sure to eliminate any and all chocolate cravings you may be having.
The next time a chocolate cake craving hits you, try a mug cake on for size and see if it hits the spot.