Isn’t it about time we started displaying photos in more unusual ways than standard photo frames? Even the most creative frame from the local store is still a bit mundane, because it relies on the old ways of a flat piece of glass surrounded by a wood or metal frame. Here is a truly whimsical way to feature your favorite photos in your home.
- Clean candle jars until they’re crystal clear. Fill the jar with water that’s at a full boil. Let it cool completely! Once it’s cool the wax floats right to the top. Discard the water, and absolutely do not pour it down drain. (Or you might as well just put hot wax down the drain!) Check for stubborn wax remnants and get rid of them by using soapy water and a brillo pad. Rinse and let dry completely.
- Decide which photos you’d like to display. Print them at a size that allows the image to fill as much of the glass as possible. The bigger the better, so don’t be afraid to print an image 5×7 or 8×10, and then trim the edges with a paper cutter. We recommend having them professionally printed. Although home printers are great, the images don’t typically do as well behind glass
- Slip the photo in and form it to the curve of the glass. It is not imperative, nor even advised, that it wrap around completely. This project looks best when there is still some clear glass to be seen.
- Fill the jar part-way with a material that is similar to the theme of the photo. For example, use sand behind a photo from your beach vacation. Or, streamers and confetti behind a photo from New Year’s Eve.
- If you like, tie ribbon, twine, or something else around the top of the jar to make the final product a little more fanciful and complete.